Categorized | National News

Victim’s Family Seeks Justice

Nine months after Pastor of Remnant Tabernacle of Praise Reverend Dr. Kendal Stubbs, was killed in a hit and run accident, the family said Friday that they have yet to get closure on the matter.

In fact his widow Carolyn Stubbs said she thinks the justice system has failed them.

She told the Journal recently that the events that followed have shaken the immediate and extended family’s confidence in the system.

According to Mrs. Stubbs, the family took exception to some of what was listed as the cause of death on the death certificate, the fact that the mortician informed the family that the body had been examined by the pathologist in a manner he had never seen before and the fact that an erroneous second death certificate was being drawn up.

Rev. Dr. Stubbs was participating in his church’s walkathon on November 3 last year when the driver of a pickup truck hit him.

He died on the scene.

His cause of death is listed as blunt force trauma to the head and torso.

“Certain members of the family on at least three different occasions met with the entire leadership of the police force including the minister of national security, commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, assistant commissioners and the superintendant in charge of Road Traffic Department in order to find out how the investigation was proceeding and to express their concern about the circumstances and behaviour which led to issuance of the erroneous second death certificate,” she said.

She said the still grieving family – based on how investigations have gone so far – are asking some questions.

“Did the police know who the person was who was driving the vehicle that struck Dr. Stubbs and was it someone prominent or related to someone prominent,” she asked.

“Why the inspector was so zealous in this matter and appeared to know the answers in advance of the full investigation and was he acting on behalf of the Police Force when he served as courier back and forth between the pathologist office and the mortuary.”

Making matters worse, Mrs. Stubbs said is the fact that three consecutive Coroner’s Court hearings were put off because of inconsistencies with the file.

A new date for the Coroner’s Inquest has been set for October 1 this year, but the family is hoping it happens sooner.

Written by Jones Bahamas

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Watch JCN Channel 14 Shows

Jcn Channel 14

Sign in now to see your channels and recommendations!

Join Us on Facebook