Categorized | Featured, National News

Infant Killed In House Fire

A five month old baby boy was killed in a house fire late Tuesday night, where, as preliminary investigations revealed, he was left alone with his six-year-old brother.

Police Superintendent Stephen Dean told reporters at the scene that the baby’s charred remains were found in a small white single story home located at St. Vincent Avenue, Elizabeth Estates that was gutted by fire just after 10:00 p.m. Tuesday.

“Officers from the Fire Department based at the Elizabeth Estates Police Station responded and upon arrival at the scene they met a stone structure home engulfed in fire,” he said. “The officers were able to extinguish the fire and after a thorough examination of the interior they discovered human remains which were burnt beyond recognition.

“It is believed that the remains are that of an infant. We understand that there was another child in the home but that child was able to leave the home safely. We cannot tell if these persons were in the company of an adult.”

It was a rainy scene for fire fighters and police officials who had to battle a heavy downpour as they conducted their investigations.

When the Journal arrived at the scene, neighbours, friends and family members of the deceased were seen huddled under umbrellas and consoling each other.

Family members identified the baby only as Tocari, and noted that he was at home with his six-year-old brother.

While Supt. Dean did not confirm whether an adult was in the home at the time, he said this latest situation forces police to renew their appeal for parents to ensure the safety of their children.

“We are putting this warning out to parent who have young children, please keep your eye on your children at all time or leave them always with a responsible adult,” he added. “We cannot take anything for change or take anything for granted.

“We are not saying that this was the case here but we have to say, please watch your children, we have to make sure an incident such as this does not occur again.”

According to Acting Fire Director Assistant Superintendent Ernest Hanna the baby was found in a bed in a rear bedroom in the home and an intense investigation will be done to determine how it was started.

Also a part of that investigation Supt. Dean said, is whether or not the children were intentionally left alone.

“There are incidents hinging on child neglect,” he added. “A lot of things can emanate from this and charges can come if it is found that these children were left by themselves. There’s no way these kids could fend for themselves, there’s no way a six-year-old and an infant could fend for themselves.

“There are some people who have a lot of questions to answer.”

An autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death.

ASP Hanna said there have been three deaths by fire recorded so far for the year.

Ianthia Smith

Written by Ianthia Smith

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Watch JCN Channel 14 Shows

Jcn Channel 14

Sign in now to see your channels and recommendations!

Join Us on Facebook