Categorized | National News

Lady Rosalind Damaged By Fire

Lady Rosalind Damaged By Fire

A cargo ship that has been used for years to transport goods from the capital to the Family Islands was badly damaged on Wednesday by what officials believe was an electrical fire.

A fire broke out in the engine room of The Lady Rosalind early yesterday.

Workers said the vessel has not been in use for a while as it is undergoing major repairs.

Fire Services Officer Sergeant George Martin said the fire department got the call around 10:49 a.m. Wednesday.

“We quickly dispatched three units with about 10 officers,” he added. “Upon our arrival we met heavy smoke coming from the engine section where it was said that an electrical fire panel was on fire.”

“We quickly contained that blaze and extinguished it.”

Sgt. Martin said he is happy to report that no major injuries were reported but one man had to be taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

He said the worker on the vessel reported that they had been doing some welding in the area where the blaze started.

Osworth Bodden, the chief engineer on the Lady Rosalind, said he does not really know how the fire started and that he just remembers seeing smoke billowing from the electrical panel.

“Three of us went down there at one point and we had just left about two minutes earlier,” Mr. Bodden added. “And when I looked back I saw the smoke coming through.”

“When I ran back to go in there I couldn’t get in because it was too much smoke. I had to run to get a mask and a fire extinguisher. When I got back down there I realised that the electrical panel was burning. I tried to [put it out] but I couldn’t stay down there, it was too much smoke.”

Mr. Bodden said he could not say just how much damage was caused but noted that the 161-foot long boat would have to be docked even longer and undergo repairs.

He added that the crew will use the Lady Rosalind II to ship cargo to the other islands.

Ianthia Smith

Written by Ianthia Smith

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Join Our BBM Group

Join Us on Facebook