Categorized | Featured, National News

East Street Shootout—Three Shot, One Dead

Police officials could not confirm the official murder count up to press time but two more were recorded Saturday night after two men were killed and two others shot in separate incidents; one in a deadly shootout on East Street and the other stabbed to death in the Bain Town area.

According to The Bahama Journal’s records the murder count now stands at 26.

Screams and sirens pierced the air for hours Saturday night as police officials simultaneously processed the crime scenes.

The Journal was the first on the scene at East Street where that deadly shoot out occurred.

Central Detective Unit Chief Superintendent Paul Rolle explained the melee that unfolded in the government apartment complex known as “The Big Yard” just after 8:30 p.m.

“Persons pulled up in a champagne or gold coloured SUV, at least one male exited that vehicle, produced a firearm discharging it into the group of persons,” he explained. “One male was struck to the head as these persons got back into the SUV and attempted to get away heading south on East Street.

“They were pursued by a group of persons and the vehicle crashed into the pole. At this point, the persons who were pursuing them produced weapons and discharged them into the vehicle where both persons on the inside of this vehicle were shot. Both of them got out and ran south being pursued by these persons who in turn stabbed one of the men multiple times about the body.”

Supt. Rolle said that victim, who was shot and stabbed, was taken to the Princess Margaret Hospital where he died.

He has since been identified as 24-year-old Rashad McIntosh.

The second male who was in the jeep, Supt. Rolle added, was able to get away and hopped onto a truck that took him to the hospital.

Up to press time the man who was in “The Big Yard” and shot to the head was taken to hospital and listed in serious condition.

When The Journal arrived on the scene, police were dusting the SUV for prints as bystanders looked on.

But just as police and news teams packed up from that murder scene, calls about a second murder at Eneas Street rang in.

At that scene, police had to restrain a visibly distraught mother who tried to dash by them on numerous occasions to see her son who had just been stabbed to death.

He was identified as 31-year-old Mario Coakley of Farrington Road.

Coakley’s body was still lying in road, covered by a white sheet as grieving family and friends consoled each other and demanded answers as to what happened.

“Information received is that around 10:00 p.m. a male came to this residence where they were having a barbecue and a second male went somewhere to the rear of the house and collected a knife where he approached the deceased,” Supt. Rolle said.

“There was an exchange of words and he in turn stabbed the deceased multiple times to the chest and upper body. EMS responded to this scene where they pronounced him lifeless.”

The CDU chief said the suspect, a 27-year-old male of Yellow Elder Gardens, ran away from the scene but officers from the enforcer unit arrested him a short distance away.

“It seems as if there could have been a pre-existing feud between these two,” the CDU chief added.

As is customary, police appealed to anyone who may have any information on these two incidents to call contact them at 919, 911 or Crimestoppers at 328-TIPS.

Written by Jones Bahamas

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Watch JCN Channel 14 Shows

Jcn Channel 14

Sign in now to see your channels and recommendations!

Join Us on Facebook